|The Big Fight
Right down to the final scene, where flowers are laid on Mom and Dad’s grave, this film is crass, predictable and jaw-droppingly badly written. You can’t really blame the cast for this – they are all trying pretty hard, it’s just the material that doesn’t leave any room for improvement. Even though it came out before Girlfight, it is a waste of space on every level: Doumani’s lack of script-writing talent would get him thrown off any self-respecting daytime soap. His trust fund was allegedly taken away and poured into The Cotton Club, but on the showing here, I think it might have been higher forces at work, trying desperately to keep him out of the movie business.
- Some other, just as savage, reviews:
- “0 stars”
- “possibly the worst boxing movie ever made”
- 5 out of 100 – “This grade-Z programmer is a painfully earnest, clichéd, amateurish waste of time”
- 0 stars – “could make you swear off movies”.
- “a relentlessly stereotypical script”
- “a burning hell of extreme sincerity” – a relatively kind review!
- An interview with Doumani
- Fredia Gibbs’ site
- Other women’s boxing movies